Intro to Afterpattern automations
Updated: January 28, 2021
Welcome to Afterpattern, a "no code" development platform for building document automations, forms, and databases for free.
What is an Afterpattern automation?
There are three types of things you can make:
- Apps: Essentially robust online forms (also known as expert systems or guided interviews). Apps can ask questions, populate documents, and can send / pull data from databases.
- Database: This is our database product. It looks like a spreadsheet but is far more powerful. You can easily create relational tables in your database.
- Portals: Use portals to create your own platform where users can log in, use youraApps, and view some of all the data in your database.
You will likely end up combining apps with a database. You may or may not end up using portals.
In the end, your automation will include the following basic mechanics:
- Ask questions via an online form
- Apply logic to the responses collected from your online form (e.g. you tell me where you live, the number of people in your household, and your combined household income, I can apply logic to tell you where you fall on the Federal Poverty Guidelines)
- Populate document templates
- Pull data from, or send data to, a database
What are common use-cases?
By far, the most common use-case for Afterpattern is building what's known as a "guided interview that populates documents". As in all things, context is important. This basic structure (ask someone questions, populate documents) can be used for many different things, including:
Less common, but structurally very similar, are those apps that ask questions and use the responses not to populate documents but to provide advice / information, such as:
How do you build automations?
No technical experience is required. All you need is a free Afterpattern account. It is 100% free to build your automations (Buy an Afterpattern subscription to use integrations or create your own Portal to sell your automations).
We highly recommend getting started with this Beginner's Tutorial.